9 Kasım 2014 Pazar

Book Review: DARK TRIUMPH by Robin LaFevers



When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybella naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.
But her assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to live for...




   Dark Triumph is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I have waited for nearly two years to read this book in Turkish edition. I almost gave up buying this book in English edition but then finally I saw the cover in the internet and.. Yes I love Turkish edition cover more than US cover. You can see the cover at the right. What do you think? I think it's PERFECT!

  I didn't expect I love this book more than the first one because I don't like Sybella in Grave Mercy. But in Dark Triumph, we can learn why she acts so cruel to everyone. She has a lot of reasons and these are so bad reasons. You can cry when you learn at least I cried.

  Anyway, this review may contains spoilers, I will warn you!




I don't know how to start for review.. There is so much things to say about this amazing book.
 I love historical- fiction books and Dark Triumph is the second book in the series but if you don't want to read book one, that's not necessary because the main characters are different but we can see the previous main characters in the next one. That's really interesting and unique.


Our main character is Sybella. She is an assassin who affiliated with Mortain. She kills people when she saw the mark on the people. She knows what to do and she doesn't scared of noone. Except one person: her father.

When she stayed in monastery, abbess send her to the castle which D'Albert 'her father' lived. She hated her, she had really happenings from him. She just want to escape from him but abbess betrayed her. The abbess can send another girl but she also hates Sybella so she wants so send her.

Sybella's first secret is being the daughter of D'Albert. Only the abbess knows in monastery.


“Hate cannot be fought with hate. Evil cannot be conquered by darkness. Only love has the power to conquer them both.” 
When she stayed in D'Albert's castle, she tried to do her job quietly and waited for command to kill D'Albert. But the abbess send her a message that said she had to find Beast and send him to the duchess. She is mad because she just want to kill D'Albert. However, she searched Beast and found in prison. Beast is ugly, very huge but has a beautiful blue eyes. When Beast shows up in the book, I don't think that Sybella and Beast can be a great couple. But I love the romance between them and that makes me so excited to read more. I couldn't put the book down because of the chemistry between them. They are perfect and they suited very well to each other.

“For all that I have kissed before, I have never felt anything like this. It is as if I have swallowed a tiny piece of the sun, its warmth and light reaching into every corner of my soul and chasing away the shadows. 
I surrender to that kiss - surrender to the strength and the courage and the sheer goodness of the man.”

 “I was wondering, since I have kissed you three times now, if you might turn into a handsome prince.” At the sight of his quick, easy grin, I feel my heart dance in my chest. “Alas, you are still stuck with a toad, my lady.” 

 This book is amazing in every way; action, intrigue, love, passion, pain, fight and much more... Please read this book because it is worth to read. Amazing in every way, amazing characters and romance between Sybella and Beast is amazing.

“But most of all, faith is love. Hate cannot be fought with hate. Evil cannot be conquered by darkness. Only love has the power to conquer them both.” 
 “It is a raw and uncomfortable realization that Beast is partly behind this newfound will to live. Not FOR him, but because he reminded me of what life has to offer. He lives life so joyously-it is impossible not to want that joy for oneself.” 

“I am in desperate need of killing something.” 

 “Besides, he is one of the few things that has ever loved me and survived.” 



“A short while later, as I stare down at the bodies of the six men I have just killed, I cannot help but wonder: Do I love killing? Of a certainty, I love the way my body and weapons move as one; I revel in the knowledge of where to strike for maximum impact. And of a certainty, I am good at it.But so is Beast. He is perhaps even better at it than I am, and yet for all that, he feels as bright and golden as a lion who roars in the face of his enemies and stalks them in broad daylight.Whereas I—I am a dark panther, slinking unseen among the shadows, silent and deadly.But we are both great cats, are we not? And do not even bright things cast a shadow?” 

I hope you love this book as much as I did. I really loved it and when it ended I want much more. I started to wait for the next and the final one and I don't know how I can finish this trilogy.

 Besides, I love this fanart and I remembered this scene. When Beast is sleeping Sybella confidentially stepped inside and wants to check how is he. Sad and also so beautiful scene. I don't want to give more details from book because if I did, I couldn't stop myself and I said spoilers. Anyway, I want to give a million stars for this book but for formal rating as I did from Goodreads, I gave 5-stars.

If you love historical-fiction books, please read this book. You will not disappoint.




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder